The vegetarian dish in our simple Christmas Eve meal. The potatoes were baked, the flesh scooped out, the hollowed out centers stuffed with mashed potatoes, broccoli and shredded cheddar. Creamy and filling. And even better when paired with something that provides a contrast in texture like the simple lettuce salad that I served on the side.
The cooking time for the potatoes is fairly long but the actual preparation of the dish is pretty short and simple.
Based on a recipe from Cate’s World Kitchen.
Recipe: Baked potatoes with broccoli and cheese stuffing
- 4 medium to large potatoes
- 1 head of broccoli
- salt and pepper
- 2 c. of shredded cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Rinse and scrub the potatoes. Wipe dry. Pierce with a fork to create steam vents. Arrange on a baking tray and bake for about an hour.
- While the potatoes bake, cut the broccoli into small florets. Place in a shallow microwavable bowl, sprinkle with salt and about two tablespoonfuls of water. Microwave on HIGH for about two minutes. Drain and cool.
- After an hour, take the potatoes out of the oven. Keep the oven on but lower the heat to 375F.
- Split into halves and cool a bit. Scoop out the centers, leaving about a quarter inch of flesh attached to the skin.
- Mashed the potato flesh that had been scooped out. Stir in some salt and pepper, and about two tablespoonfuls of butter.
- Stir the broccoli and cheddar with the mashed potato.
- Divide the potato-broccoli-cheese mixture into eight portions and fill each half potato with a portion of the stuffing.
- Arrange the stuffed potatoes on the baking tray. Place a pinch of butter on top of each. Bake for about five minutes or just until the cheese melts and everything is heated through.
- Serve the stuffed potatoes immediately.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4